Talking Sticks

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

The Maroon Guru Macaroon

In the garden, preparing for shintaido. Opened my mouth and all these bizarre things came out..to the west, the wobbly, wet, windy, watery, west. I had more fun calling in the silly points of the compass, than I've had the past few days looking for meaningful words for each direction. And not surprisingly, the whole experience was really rather groovy.

And of course, the words for the day are "sod significance".

On journalling, I realised the gremlin that has been sitting on me for the past few days - so LADIES AND GENTLEMENT....meet the Maroon Guru Macaroon. The cross-legged, fake-tanned, loincloth-wearing wise one. He wears a ridiculously large maroon turban (which actually is removed in one piece, with a silly popping noise, rather than being wrapped carefully) fastened with a (glass) ruby in a gold setting. Anyway, this guy sidles into the scene very quietly, (sneaking into the shot, almost unnoticed from an edge of the scene) on his ridiculously large flying carpet and smothers whatever is going on in the middle of the stage.

And there he sits, making nonsense OMMing noises, and occasionally sneaking an eye open to see if anyone has realised he's making it all up. He then waits, and occasionally opens his eyes, smiles (rather sickeningly) and utters some phrase as if a blessing to the masses...."remember, sprouts are only 59p per kilo in Sainsbury's".

The major trick he plays is to make everything so very earnest and significant. Actually, he has some good things to offer and say, but it's so pressured into being significant that it comes out all weird and choked up.

What I love about this image, aside from the fact I can see him clearly, is that noticing it brings me so much more compassion and humour. I know I can be actually rather wise or peaceful from time to time and I know I do want to find learning and depth, but recognising that my wisdom and peace also come from silliness, play and downright stupidity....who said it had to be meanigful, deep or wise? The Maroon-Guru-Macaroon, that's who...

Lid lifted

J

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home